I volunteered my time on the farm today. I’m not a farmer, but I felt like something was totally wrong.
Farm Girl Farm is this small place run by one lady who hires “interns” to work for a small stipend a month. The thing is that there is no organization. I worked for almost 6 hours straight in the field with no break, and when it was time for the planned lunch, she changed her mind and wanted everyone to keep working. Then she left, with assignments to be finished by the hungry overworked interns.
The weeds were horrendous, since they were neglected, and there is no equipment at all to take care of them. I was mostly upset because what would have taken me 2 hours to do (harvesting beets) took almost 6 because we had to play a game of “where’s the veggie” amidst the forest of weeds. The interns are not informed of her plans, or even of the accurate names of some of the veggies (I thought internships were for learning).
And then when I mentioned the weed situation she said “I didn’t ask you about the weeds.” Whoa farm nazi. The kids on the farm work 10 hour work days, the schedule changes at her whim, and she expects all to work overtime on top of the insane hours. The “interns” get paid about $2.50 or less an hour. Which they agree to do, to see positive results on the farm. But she doesn’t take advice from these people that have interned on other farms, took agriculture classes in college, and have had experience at home. It’s hard to stay motivated when she runs her workers to the ground and they get less kindly than her farm dog.
I hope this doesn’t continue happening to people who come from all over for a learning experience. Maybe next year she’ll be more humane?
No comments:
Post a Comment